Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Ink Motions with Kate Hill

tcinkmotions-sm3-300x172

 

Ink Motions - Interview

 

When or what made you decide to become an author?

 

For as long as I can remember I’ve loved making up stories, but when I was about sixteen I decided to start submitting stories with the hope of getting published. It took about ten years before I sold my first story.

 

How do you get an idea for your novel?

 

Northman’s Pleasure is the sequel to Northman’s Passion. The hero and heroine were introduced in the first story as secondary characters.

 

What is the inspiration you use?

 

For me inspiration can come from just about anything and for each story it’s different. It might be a place, a song, a person or just about anything at all that inspires me.

 

What is your writing style?  Do you just sit down and write or do you create character sketches, outlines, or notes?

 

I prefer to write using a loose outline with room for the inevitable changes that occur once the actual writing begins.

 

Who is the "Writing Muse" in your life? I.E. who gets your juices flowing when you are blocked?

 

I don’t have a specific muse. For me the best way to get over writer’s block is to write something different. Once my creative juices are flowing again, I go back to writing what I’m supposed to be working on.

 

Walk me though the way you create a novel from conception to completion.

 

For me the characters usually come first and I almost feel like they tell me their story. I tend to make lots of random notes, then an outline. After that I write the first draft and rework it several times before submitting it to my editor.

 

What is the type of voice you use and why?

 

I prefer to write in the third person limited point of view so that I can express the thoughts of the characters and also because it’s the point of view I prefer to read.

 

How many novels have you written including all work in progresses you are currently working on?

 

Altogether I’ve written over one hundred novels, novellas and short stories.

 

Who is your "writing idol"? I.E. Who do you like and what is it about there writing that captures your soul?

 

Alexandre Dumas. I love the action, adventure and friendships experienced by his characters.

 

What is you favorite plot line type?.

 

I love romance with paranormal elements.

 

What is your current work in progress and how did get the idea for the Work in

 

Right now I’m working on an erotic science fiction romance series called Combustion. I wanted to write a story about various crew members on an alien space shuttle. Combustion is set in the Silver Iris Galaxy in which I’ve written several series for Changeling Press.

 

Describe the major conflict between the hero and heroine in your novel?

 

In Northman’s Passion, the hero Grim has sworn never to marry, but he finds the heroine Asgerd irresistible. She has admired him for a long time, but he ignored her, so she is surprised when he agrees to marry her. Unfortunately his mistrust of women causes conflict in their marriage.

 

Is there any advice you can offer to anyone who would like to write?

 

I would say don’t give up, but if you love to write, nothing will stop you.  Also everyone has a different idea of success. Know what you want from your writing and don’t be afraid to pursue it, even if others try to knock you down.

 

Where are the bodies buried? IE Is there any old work in progresses you threw aside and decided not to complete and why?

 

Oh I have lots of those! Usually they’re fan fiction type stories that I wrote for my own amusement and had no intention of ever showing anyone. I’ve also started some stories that I’ve put aside to work on other things, but I hope to someday return to them.

 

What is a good villain?

 

To me the best kind of villain is one who has the potential to be a hero himself.

 

Are there any last comments you may want to include?

 

I’d love to mention my upcoming Halloween promo that will take place at my website and blog from October 1st to the 31st. Lots of great authors, including Taige, are participating this year. Thank you!

northmanspleasuremed

 

Blurb:

Legend is Grim Hammerhand is half wolf. Vowing never to marry, the muscular, red-haired warrior saves his passion for the battlefield and the forge. That is, until the woman he secretly lusts after is abducted.

Asgerd has loved Grim for years, only to be ignored by the object of her desire. She has eluded the bonds of marriage, hoping that someday Grim will notice her, but her dreams are shattered when she is captured and defiled by the brutal warrior Stein.

After the king sends Grim to rescue his daughter and claim Stein's land, the passion between the couple finally ignites. In the end, Grim's mistrust of all women could destroy their one true chance for happiness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Excerpt from Northman’s Pleasure

by Kate Hill

From Ellora’s Cave

http://www.ellorascave.com/northman-s-pleasure.html

Also available from

All Romance Ebooks

https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-northman039spleasure-1247146-340.html

 

(Erotic Viking Romance)

Other than curtly answering a few questions from his men, Grim ate in silence. When his mead ran low, Asgerd approached to offer him more.

"I've had enough," he said. "It's been a long day. I'm going to sleep. Are you coming?"

She moistened her full lips and said, "After I help clean up."

Grim had the feeling she was using domestic duties as an excuse to avoid him. Slaves could finish clearing the table.

"Don't be too long," he said. "I don't like being disturbed when I'm sleeping."

Her eyes flashed and Grim nearly smiled. She'd been so passive since Stein's death. He'd wondered what happened to the woman who had so bravely fought her captor. It seemed she just needed a little goading to bring out her spirit.

He rose and walked to the bed closet. It was tidy, and as requested, Stein's belongings had been removed, except for his weapons. The sword, daggers and axe hung on the wall. The women had been right to leave them. Extra weapons were useful and these were of a decent quality.

He removed his armor and weapons and placed them on the bed. Then he opened the wooden trunk at the foot of it. Finding only women's clothes inside, he couldn't resist touching the fabric, knowing it belonged to Asgerd. His stomach tightened. They wouldn't be sharing merely a bed closet, but their lives.

A sobering thought.

He pulled off his boots and placed them in the corner, then he undressed and put his clothes beside Asgerd's in the trunk. Naked, he climbed beneath the furs. Sighing, he closed his eyes and tried to relax, but couldn't. He had too much to think about.

He wasn't sure how much time had passed before Asgerd entered the bed closet. Apparently she thought him asleep since she moved so quietly that even he, with his keen senses, could scarcely hear her.

When she slid beneath the furs, his heartbeat quickened. He waited for the sensation of her warm curves against his. The bed was fairly small so she was bound to touch him. Yet she didn't.

Grim turned toward her and found her lying close to the edge of the bed, her back to him.

"Everything cleaned up?" he asked, unsure of what else to say. He wanted to talk to her, but Grim wasn't much of a conversationalist, especially with women. Talking to his men or his brothers was different. They had common interests and shared duties.

Even the few women he'd bedded simply to release tension, he hadn't spoken to. Most of them hadn't wanted to talk either. The only woman he'd engaged in extended conversation was his sister-in-law and there was no attraction between them. Asgerd was different, in particular because tomorrow she would be his wife.

"Yes."

"You don't have to sleep so far away you know."

He heard her draw a deep breath before she turned to face him. Her eyes glistened in the fading lantern light. "You expect to have me tonight so you can call off the wedding tomorrow."

Typical that a woman would think of something deceitful.

"Why would I do that?"

"Why not? Why should I believe you want to marry me when you've never shown an interest in me before?"

"I had my reasons."

"Maybe because you thought my father would try to force marriage upon you. Now, after what Stein did, I don't matter anymore."

"You matter very much to your father. Why else would he have sent me and his best warriors to avenge you?"

"Was he avenging me or showing the world that he wouldn't be taken advantage of by the likes of Stein?"

"Probably both."

She snorted. "Well that was honest."

"I'm an honest man. Get used to it."

"Then why the sudden interest?"

He reached out to touch her cheek. It was so soft and smooth. He wanted to touch the rest of her, but held back. Stein had hurt her in spirit as well as in body. Unfortunately he knew from experience the former was harder to heal.

"Maybe the interest isn't sudden," he admitted. "You're a beautiful woman. A man would have to be dead not to notice you."

 

About Kate

Always a fan of romance and the paranormal, Kate Hill started writing over twenty years ago for pleasure. Her first story, a short erotic vampire tale, was accepted for publication in 1996. Since then she has sold over one hundred short stories, novellas and novels.

When she's not working on her books, Kate enjoys reading, working out and spending time with her family and pets.

Kate also writes under the name Saloni Quinby.

She enjoys hearing from readers and she can be contacted at  katehill@sprintmail.com. Visit her online at  http://www.kate-hill.com.

No comments:

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...