Sunday, January 05, 2014

Ink Motions with Kate Hill

tcinkmotions-sm3-300x172

An Interview with Kate Hill: 

When or what made you decide to become an author?

I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember, but when I was sixteen I decided to start polishing my work for possible publication. It took about ten years for me to have a story accepted.

 

How do you get an idea for your novel?

Usually I see something that inspires me. It could be a place, an object or a person. Just about anything can give me an idea for a story.

 

What is the inspiration you use?

Basically it’s the same as how I get my ideas. It’s random every time. Many times inspiration takes me completely by surprise.

 

What is your writing style?  Do you just sit down and write or do you create character sketches, outlines, or notes?

I like to work with a loose outline and I also like to live with my characters for a while before writing the actual story. For instance I spend weeks, months and sometimes years thinking about their hobbies, their likes and dislikes, and how they would react in different situations. I like to know them pretty well before I start writing.

 

Who is the "Writing Muse" in your life? I.E. who gets your juices flowing when you are blocked?

I don’t have one particular person for that. For me inspiration is random. If I get writers block while working on  a particular story, I put it aside for a short time and write something different.

 

Walk me though the way you create a novel from conception to completion.

Usually the characters come first. Then I think about the characters a lot. I write an outline, then think about the characters more! I write a first draft, then rework it several times before sending it to my editor.

 

What is the type of voice you use and why?

I prefer the third person limited point of view because it’s what I like to read. I like to get into the character’s head, but in general I find the first person point of view distracting. That’s not to say I haven’t sometimes written in the first person or read good stories in that point of view, but usually I prefer third person.

 

How many novels have you written including all work in progresses you are currently working on?

I don’t know exactly. I have lots of stories that haven’t been completed and many that were never published. I’ve had over one hundred novels, novellas and short stories published.

 

Who is your "writing idol"? I.E. Who do you like and what is it about there writing that captures your soul?

I love the work of Alexandre Dumas, among others.

 

What is you favorite plot line type?.

I love cross-genre romance. My favorite would be paranormal action romance.

 

What is your current work in progress and how did get the idea for the Work in

Right now I’m working on the second story in my Combustion series from Changeling Press. I wanted to write a story about aliens who crashed on Earth. Since Changeling is an erotica publisher, the stories focus on the characters’ monthly sexual cycle. Unless they mate at the right time, their inner heat will destroy them.

 

Describe the major conflict between the hero and heroine in your novel?

In my work in progress, Combustion 2: Dead Heat, two of the main characters have not only crash landed on Earth, but the heroine is suffering from amnesia. The second hero in the story is an undercover agent who suspects they’re aliens. He might be help or he might hinder, but either way he’s very interested in alien sexuality.

 

Is there any advice you can offer to anyone who would like to write?

Decide what you really want out of your writing career and go for it. Success means something different to each person. Don’t let someone else tell you that your idea of success isn’t right. Cliche as it sounds, be true to yourself.

 

Where are the bodies buried? IE Is there any old work in progresses you threw aside and decided not to complete and why?

I have lots of those! Usually when I put something aside it’s because it’s either really, really bad or because it’s a story I’m writing just for pleasure and I need to step away to complete something for a deadline.

 

What is a good villain?

One who has the potential to become a hero. I love a villain who has good reasons for his actions, or at least understandable reasons. Depending on your point of view, a villain can be a hero or vice versa. I absolutely love villains and antiheroes. There’s nothing I love more than a villain redeemed, but who doesn’t completely lose his edge. Great question!

 

Are there any last comments you may want to include?

Thank you for having me as a guest!

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

inheatmed

 

Blurb:

When Zoey temporarily moves in with her friend Justin, the last thing she expects is to find a hunk across the hall. Wyatt is as hot as his red hair, but to a woman whose career has always come first, she isn't sure if she should hook up with him, no matter how badly she wants to. What Zoey doesn't know is Wyatt is a shipwrecked alien whose monthly sexual cycle will literally burn him alive if he doesn't mate.

Wyatt not only desires Zoey, he needs her to survive, but he fears that the scent induced by his cycle is luring her into his arms. Though desperate to survive, he wants a willing partner. When passion finally overtakes them, he knows he must tell her the truth, but will she accept an alien lover?

 

Excerpt

Combustion 1: In Heat by Kate Hill

 

The last thing Zoey expected to see when she stepped out of her friend Justin’s apartment was a hunk.

 

But there he was. Tall. Lean. Sexy. He wore a black T-shirt and snug jeans that hugged the muscular length of his legs and did little to disguise his sizeable package. His hair was dark red, as was his trimmed beard.

 

Unfortunately, he was also quite battered.

 

One of his big green eyes was bruised and swollen half-closed. Scratches crisscrossed his angular face. His wrist was bandaged.

 

Standing outside the door of the apartment across the hall, he fumbled with the key. He dropped it and slowly bent to pick it up, as if moving hurt.

 

“Hey,” Zoey said and his gaze riveted to her. “Are you okay?”

 

“Yes, thank you,” he replied in a deep, smooth voice. She detected a slight accent. Maybe English.

 

“Just a little clumsy at the moment,” he said and straightened.

 

Zoey wasn’t short -- about five feet nine inches -- but she had to tilt her head a bit to meet his gaze. A strange feeling came over her. Maybe it was because even injured he was so damn hot.

 

She was surprised that Justin hadn’t mentioned his neighbor, though this guy wasn’t Justin’s type. He was far too masculine. Justin preferred twinks. Still there was no way he could have missed his handsome neighbor.

 

They stared at each other for a moment, and Zoey got the feeling he wanted to say something. She wished he would. Though she wasn’t the kind of woman who tried to hook up with a guy she’d just laid eyes on, especially not when he lived directly across the hall, she couldn’t deny he turned her on.

 

He nodded at her, then unlocked his door and stepped inside, closing it behind him.

 

Zoey continued down the corridor to the stairs and finally out of the building. She and Justin had decided to meet for dinner at a restaurant not far from the hospital where they worked. Zoey was in research and Justin was a medical social worker. Friends since high school, they had gone their separate ways after, but kept in touch. Though Zoey had spent the past few years out of state, her new job at the hospital had brought her back home. She’d only been in town for a few days and Justin had graciously offered to let her stay with him while she searched for a place to live.

 

Instead of thinking about work or houses, on her way to the restaurant she couldn’t keep her mind off the hunk in the apartment across the hall. What was his story? Had he been in a fight? An accident?

 

When she finally arrived, Justin was already seated. He waved to her and she walked over to the corner booth to join him.

 

Tall and athletic with dark hair and brown eyes, Justin was really good looking. He had no shortage of interested women and men, though he preferred the latter. Still, he wasn’t ready to settle down. Right now his job took up most of his time. He wasn’t the kind of guy to leave his work at the office, but often got emotionally attached. While this was lucky for the patients he worked with, it wasn’t always good for him. Zoey understood, which was part of the reason she’d decided to switch to research. While she enjoyed her career and loved helping people, she found it difficult to distance herself from her patients.

 

“Hey, what’s up?” Justin asked as they settled down to look at their menus.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me about that fine-looking man living across the hall?” Zoey asked, a faint smile on her lips. She lifted her gaze to study Justin over her menu.

 

He blinked. “Pardon?”

 

“I saw him just before I got here. Lean, mean and mysterious. Looked like he was in a fight or something though. Probably got drunk and started trouble. Most guys who look like him are only trouble anyway.”

 

Still, he hadn’t seemed like that kind of guy, but what did she know about him after meeting him for thirty seconds?

 

“As far as I know the place across the hall is empty. He must have just moved in. I’ll have to check him out.”

 

“Get in line,” she teased.

 

“Is he that hot?”

 

“Sizzling.”

 

Justin’s smile broadened.

 

“Down, boy,” she said. “I don’t think he’s your type.”

 

“Oh really? He’s gorgeous and sizzling, but he’s not my type? Convenient.”

 

Zoey laughed. “Let’s forget about him. Like I said, he’s probably nothing but trouble and we have enough of that working at the hospital.”

 

“Too right, but today was very good.” Justin looked genuinely happy. “I got Mrs. Miller connected to an assisted living facility that I think will be perfect for her.”

 

“Great. I know you’ve been worried about her.”

 

At that moment the waitress came to take their order. Throughout the rest of the meal they talked about work and possibly going to the movies at the end of the week, if they had time. Neither mentioned their new neighbor, though to her annoyance, Zoey couldn’t stop thinking about him.

 

From Changeling Press

http://changelingpress.com/product.php?&upt=book&ubid=2124

 

Also at All Romance Ebooks

https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-inheatcombustion-1344471-340.html

 

About Kate


 

Always a fan of romance and the paranormal, Kate Hill started writing over twenty years ago for pleasure. Her first story, a short erotic vampire tale, was accepted for publication in 1996. Since then she has sold over one hundred short stories, novellas and novels.

 

When she's not working on her books, Kate enjoys reading, working out and spending time with her family and pets.

 

Kate also writes under the pen name Saloni Quinby. She enjoys hearing from readers and she can be contacted at katehill@sprintmail.com. Visit her online at http://www.kate-hill.com.

No comments:

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...