Monday, January 13, 2014

Ink Motions with MK Schiller

tcinkmotions-sm3-300x172

 

Ink Motions - Interview

 

When or what made you decide to become an author?

I’ve always been constructing stories in my head. One day, I decided that I’d put my thoughts on paper and it just grew from there.

 

How do you get an idea for your novel?

Everywhere. I know that sounds broad, but you only have to look to capture a life experience.  For my characters, I’ll often take snippets of traits I see in people I admire and create them. For my plots, I’ll think about how my characters would react to each other and what kind of love story would follow.

 

What is your writing style?  Do you just sit down and write or do you create character sketches, outlines, or notes?

I do generic outlines, but I go with the flow too. I’m not too rigid in how a plot should flow. Sometimes my favorite parts of my books are the ones I changed at the last minute.

 

Who is the "Writing Muse" in your life? I.E. who gets your juices flowing when you are blocked?

My daughter. She’s a brilliant girl with a snarky sense of humor. She never fails to make me laugh or give me ideas when I’m in a slump.

 

Walk me though the way you create a novel from conception to completion.

I think of the idea first – it’s usually some sort of vague general thing like childhood love taken away. Then I think of my characters. In this case, I wanted a small town setting with a southern cowboy Cassanova and a trouble girl. A childhood friendship that becomes more. Then I start writing and flesh out the characters, adding traits and plot points along the way.

 

What is the type of voice you use and why?

I’m still trying to find my voice. It’s snarky, cynical and what I hope is funny. I’ve experimented with first person, third person, muti-pov’s. I like writing from the hero’s pov. Men express themselves in simpler terms I think.

 

How many novels have you written including all work in progresses you are currently working on?

Oh boy, I have to take an inventory. 3 full length and 1 novella are published. 1 novel will be edited and then out in March. I have about 6 works in progress. I also have 2 books that I need to rework

 

Who is your "writing idol"? I.E. Who do you like and what is it about there writing that captures your soul?

I like EL James. Her Fifty Shades Trilogy actually inspired me in many ways. I also love Abbi Glines and Sylvain Reynard.

 

What is you favorite plot line type?.

Hmmm…I think it would be love can heal maybe. Anything that involves angst, hard choices, and troubled souls.

 

What is your current work in progress and how did get the idea for the Work in

Currently, I’m writing a book where my heroine suffers from bipolar. I was watching a show where someone with the illness was shown in a very negative light, which is common. I think the illness is not portrayed accurately in the media and I wanted to show a different side of it. I also strongly believe that everyone deserves a happily ever after.

 

Describe the major conflict between the hero and heroine in your novel?

In this book, Sylvie has secrets, but despite that, her and Cal Tanner become friends. They grow up together and Cal feels Sylvie is part of his heart. When she dies, he refuses to belief it, because surely if you loved someone the way he did Sylvie, he’d feel her passing in his soul.

 

Is there any advice you can offer to anyone who would like to write?

Just do it. Don’t worry about technicality or finding your voice, just start putting words to paper. Also, I do suggest joining a local chapter of The Romance Writers Of America. They can really help you with the in’s and out’s of the business.

 

Where are the bodies buried? IE Is there any old work in progresses you threw aside and decided not to complete and why?

So many, but it doesn’t mean I won’t go back to them. It just means another inspiration hit me that cut in front of them. I have a new adult, road trip novel with suspense elements that I really want to finish.

 

What is a good villain?

They have to have good reasoning for their evil. They should be multi-dimensional and interesting. I don’t always succeed in this, but that’s what I aim for.

 

Are there any last comments you may want to include?

Thank you for including me in your blog. Last year, I had an opportunity to put myself out there with my work, and it’s been one of the greatest privileges of my life. I hope everyone has a grand 2014!

agirlbyanyothername_exlarge


Blurb –

Everyone tells him he needs to move on, but how can a man function without his heart?

Ten-year-old Caleb Tanner wants nothing to do with Sylvie Cranston, the annoying weird girl who moves next door to him and gets him in trouble for swearing. But at twelve, they become friends when he teaches her how to hook a fishing line and she shows him the value of a selfless act. At fourteen, he falls in love with her.

At sixteen, she dies.

Or so he’s told. But Cal never believes it. Sylvie has become part of his soul. He knows her like the steady beating of his own heart. He’d know if she was dead. Cal looks for her, prays for her and finally he just waits for her.

Nine years later, she walks into the community college English class Cal is teaching. Only this girl claims her name is Sophie Becker and she doesn’t know him. Cal knows better. He’s determined to get the girl he loves back—and protect her from the danger that took her away all those years ago.


 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt 

This is an excerpt from my newest novel, A Girl by Any Other Name. I hope you enjoy it.

 

She sat down on her swing again. “I think you’re the smartest boy I know.”

“You’re wrong.”

She blinked her eyes at my goofy grin.

“I’m the smartest person you know.”

“That can’t be, because I’m smarter than you,” she replied, jutting her chin out.

“You’re a smartass. There’s a difference.” I returned to the passage I was reading, doing my best to ignore her.

“Why don’t you want people to know you like to read?”

“I don’t want to talk about it, Sylvie. You’re annoying me.”

“Will you read one to me?”

“We’re supposed to be paying attention to the sermon. The only reason my momma lets me sit out here with you is because she thinks we listen to it.”

“You’re not listening.” She had me there. “Just read me one. Your favourite one. Please?”

I sighed. “Fine.”

I flipped to my favourite poem and quietly read The Raven to her. When I looked up, she was staring at me with wide eyes and a wistful smile. Even my ignorant eleven-year-old self could appreciate that smile.

“It’s so pretty. I wonder what it means.”

“I know what it means. He thought he heard the ghost of some girl named Lenore who he used to know, but it was just some stupid bird screaming that he’d never see her again.”

“That sounds sad and romantic.”

“Romantic? He was crazy,” I said, twirling my finger next to my head.

“I think it is. He had to love her very much if he kept searching for her.”

“Maybe he just went batshit.”

“Cal, don’t swear. We’re in church,” she scolded, wagging her finger at me.

“It’s okay. We’re outside of it,” I said, gesturing to the open space between us and the building.

“God can hear everything.”

I chuckled. “Yeah, but my momma can’t.” She punched me in the arm. “Did you just punch me or was it the wind? ’Cause I can’t tell.”

“Very funny.” She looked off into the woods, and I wondered if she was going to bolt early. “I think there might be a raven calling to me too. Do you think I’m crazy?”

“Heck yeah,” I replied, impressed with myself for not saying ‘hell’. I felt lousy, though, when she looked at me with those big chocolate-coloured eyes full of sorrow. I wanted to make her feel better. I wanted her to smile again. I knocked my knee into hers. “Girl, you’re such a weirdo,” I said, finding the most poetic words my childish mind could muster.

She laughed in that cynical way of hers. “Yeah, you’re right. Bye.” She took off, sprinting into the woods.

“Hey, Sylvie,” I called after her before she blended into the landscape. She stopped and turned, almost out of earshot. “Let’s go fishing tomorrow after school.”

“I knew you’d take me,” she yelled back, giving me a real smile.

 

About MK Schiller

I am a hopeless romantic in a hopelessly pragmatic world. I have a full time life and two busy teenagers, but by night, I sit by the warm glow of my computer monitor, and attempt to conjure up passionate heartwarming stories with plenty of humor.

I started imagining stories in my head at a very young age. In fact, I got so good at it that my best friend asked me to make up stories featuring her as the heroine and the boy she currently liked as the hero. We'd spend hours on the phone while I came up with a series of unrealistic, yet tender events led the object of her desire to finally profess his love. You've heard of fan fiction... this was friend fiction.

Even with that, it took many years to realize I could produce an actual full length book that readers would enjoy. I try to make my stories humorous, realistic, with characters who are flawed but redeeming. I hope you enjoy my stories and never stop searching for your happily ever after.

Author site - http://www.mkschillerauthor.com/

Amazon page - http://www.amazon.com/MK-Schiller/e/B00FE0FGDM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19231810-a-girl-by-any-other-name

Twitter handle - @mkSchiller

Publisher site - https://www.totallybound.com/a-girl-by-any-other-name?author_id=306

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/MKSchillerauthor

No comments:

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...