Monday, November 01, 2010

Vacation and One More Step

Today is the first day of my vacation from my day job. I’m having a staycation… well more like a writecation. All in all I plan to have a great vacation doing what I love. Have a few things I am working on. Also working on my writing plans for next year. I have a few things in my various series I want to make sure get done. I also left some space in my calendar next year for any projects that may come up.

A little over a week ago as I was cleaning out my files I found something I had written years ago. My original “Writing Career Plan”. On this Plan I found one of my goals that I realized I had already achieved. A few days ago I mentioned vaguely about something I missed and sending in paperwork. Well now I can tell you what it is about. I’ve belonged to the writing organization - RWA - Romance Writer’s of America for a lot of years. My mom was alive and she was there when I found out about it, joined, then joined chapters, started interacting with other writers, and served as an officer of my chapter. I remember the feelings of finding others like me. My Mom sat with me as I made my “Writing Career Plan”. We went over it closely together. While she was alive I checked off many of those goals I had set.

Since that original I’ve written other Plans that keep changing and evolving. I’ve always worked towards my writing career goals but with all that has been going on these last few years – my Mom passing, my own illnesses and life – I lost track of the original Plan. The one I wrote with my Mom. When I found it an over a week ago it brought up lots of feelings and memories. I reviewed the Original Writing Career Plan and checked off a few of the goals I had meet. The one I mentioned in a previous post and above hadn’t registered at all with all that had been going on. I had achieved it many times over but I have missed it for years. This weekend I checked off another goal from that original plan.

I am now a RWA PAN member. There was lots of emotions I experienced when I got the confirmation I was now PAN. The most prominent was tears. Tears remembering when I made that list with my Mom. My mom who was my biggest supporter. It was from her and my big sis I got my love of reading. She used to listen when I made up my own fairytales and made sure I always had money to buy books. My Mom is who read my first book I wrote for possible publication. She was blunt about it. She liked it but it needed more. LOL. I remember her sitting and listening to all my ideas then telling me to stop talking about it and go write it. I remember waking her at two in the morning with my screaming that I finished my first book. Those blunt words of more that I took as a challenge and did more. I rewrote the book doubling the word count then gave it to her to read again. Her liking it and asking about the other characters. Then going onto my next book. She was there for the beginning stages of my career. For those milestones.

RWA PAN is another check off in my Original Writing Career Plan. (grin) One more step in my writing career path. I have one more goal on my Original Writing Career Plan I haven’t checked yet but I know it will come. It is one of the goals that I also have on my current Writing Career Plan.

I have many plans I still have to achieve and keep adding more as my writing career evolves. With each I know my Mom is there smiling down on me. Sometimes I even imagine her giving her blunt thoughts on the step I am planning to take.

I have lots more to do and achieve. Thank to all of you who have been with me for this continued journey. There is much more to come.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

This was such a great post. I'm glad to know you and call you friend. We started our first adventure together (keeping fingers crossed for us both) and can't wait till the next one.
Your mom would be so proud of you. You're an amazing person

Sherri

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...