Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Non-Carolers Song


Welcome to my Blissemas post. Be sure to comment at the end of my blog for a chance to be entered into the Blissemas drawing for a Kindle!

There are so many memories I have for Christmas. When I wrote my book Veils Rising I took the memories I had of Christmas growing up in St. Thomas. There is a different feeling to Christmas on the beautiful island where I grew up. When the holiday approached I would feel an excitement in the air. I’ve always equated Christmas with the smell of the baking of carrot cake, tart, and sweet bread. The sound of the steel pan playing a Christmas Carol. There is nothing like it.

One of my favorite memories was the Christmas carolers who performed in Emancipation Garden. I still remember my first time I went. I was in awe of all the various team of carolers that were there. Singing and having fun. Those in the audience joined in. One year especially I remember there was a friendly bet between two groups. One called themselves The Non-Carolers. And from the name you guessed it. The non-carolers didn’t sing all that well. Yet their enthusiasm and the good-natured rivalry between the two groups entertained everyone. It was a carol sing off that had people talking for a long time. It enhanced a tradition and became one. It was a Christmas memory that I treasure to this day.

Even though I now live in New York I still observe the some of my family traditions . I hope you enjoyed my non-carolers memory.

What are some of your holiday traditions?


Your comments here will give you an entry in the BLISSEMAS drawing for the grand prize for a kindle. The drawing will take place at the end of Blissemas. Check out more about Blissemas and the other great post here.

Have a joyus holiday season and may the new year bring you lots of wonderful moments!

17 comments:

Victoria Blisse said...

What a lovely post! We have a lot of traditions but one of my favourites is reading 'twas the night before Christmas...' on Christmas eve.

Blissemas with Taige Crenshaw « Blissemas 2011 said...

[...] of Blissemas, yes the end is soon approaching but not before some more sexy seasonal posts, Today Taige Crenshaw shares with us the joys of Caribbean Christmas in Saint Thomas with the Steel Drums ringing and the [...]

The 15th day of Blissemas with Taige Crenshaw! | Victoria Blisse said...

[...] Blissemas elf lets us in on one of her fondly remembered Christmas Traditions. Pop over to Taige Crenshaw ‘s blog to be surprised then be sure to share one of your seasonal traditions (even if [...]

kimmy L said...

I've never seen a carol sing off. That would have been great to see around the holidays. I can't wait to read your book.

Anne said...

We were never carolers and it wasn't a common tradition anywhere we lived, but it's a nice idea. That's also one of the nice things about Christmas songs. They're (mostly) easy to sing and with a large enough group it never sounds bad, but I haven't met your non-carolers.

We used to have a weekend where we would make new ornaments and repair ones from previous years. We always had Christmas music playing and hot chocolate and goodies.

Tracey D said...

I agree, that was a nice post. After dinner we always play a board game and drink egg nog (with a little something extra poured it).

We have loads of fun.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Shadow said...

Christmas day, we start dinner (almost like thanksgiving) and we watch movies and play games all day. We've never done the carolers thing. I live in a small town, so that doesnt really happen. Happy holidays! Thanks for sharing! Wonderful post!!!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Na S. said...

Our family likes to spend the holidays watching holiday-themed movies. Home Alone is always entertaining. It's a way to spend time together and have fun.

J.C. Martin said...

I'm a new Christmas celebrator, thanks to the hubster and the in-laws. The strangest tradition they have is getting together on X'mas Eve for a Chinese takeaway. :)

tammy ramey said...

we always have clam chowder and homemade rolls hot out of the oven for dinner on christmas eve. then if the nieces and nephews are over we decorate cookies and listen to christmas music, after that we get hot cider or chocolate and watch a christmas movie. usually it's an animated one like the grinch or something. lots of fun and family. :)

trvlagnt1t@yahoo.com

Joder said...

I LOVE carolers. Such beautiful music. I wish people still did that around here going from house to house singing. A tradition is watching the 24-hours of A Christmas Story as well as viewing the Yule Log on tv. I LOVE those cheesy traditions so much.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

Kathryn Merkel said...

I live out in the country, so there are never carolers coming to our door. Too far between houses. I have gone caroling in town a time or two with family, when the weather cooperated & had a blast.

For a number of years, I worked for a fairly large corporation that put on a Christmas program for the area senior centers. I was a soloist in the program 4 years in a row. The smiles on the faces of the seniors who came to hear our program made all the hours of rehearsals well worth it. That is the one part of that job, I really miss. I talked to a former co-worker, who still works there, this summer & learned that the company has discontinued the Christmas program, due to the expense.

drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

deb .p said...

We use to go caroling in nursing homes.That was fun.

Elaine Yorke said...

I truly love singing carols at christmas time, there is nothing better to get everyone in the same frame of mind and happily enjoying all the christmas cheer it brings, no matter what hte weather or how bad a day you've had if someone is singing happily nearby then you cant help but relax a bit and smile, maybe even join in whether its sing your heart out or hum to yourself under your breath. it has a magical way of getting to you!

cky15 said...

cky15: The stocking is a special thing for us. We don't just put candy and fruits in it. But we have a very special item in it. The kids have fun opening up the presents but that look of what is in the stocking?

Debbie S said...

We make candy every Christmas.

Tonya said...

We always make special treats for christmas. Sugar cookies is always a definite with the kids. Thanks!
tonyapeterson35(at)yahoo(dot)com

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...