Monday, January 19, 2015

Ink Motions with Allie Ritch

tcinkmotions-sm3-300x172



Allie Ritch is a multi­published author of sizzling sci­fi and paranormal romance. She has an active imagination and enjoys entertaining others through storytelling. Allie lives in her own little world in the Southeastern United States, where she spends time appreciating the ocean and sunshine.

 

Website/Blog: http://allieritch.wordpress.com

Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/author/allieritch

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AllieRitch

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/AllieRitch

 

Ink Motions Interview


 

How do you get an idea for your novel?

 

Inspiration for a book can come from anywhere. My SFR novella Switching Positions developed out of a conversation I had with someone, while my shifter romance Tribal Shift was inspired by some nature documentaries I watched. In the case of my newest urban paranormal release, Vampire Territory 1: Drinking Partners, I’ve loved vampire fiction for a long time. I’ve played around with the genre before, but this time I wanted to jump in with both feet and write something with a lot of action.

 

What is your writing style?  Do you just sit down and write or do you create character sketches, outlines, or notes?

 

I usually describe my writing process as a game of connect the dots. I get ideas for a bunch of different scenes, and I take lots of notes on those scenes before I start writing. I also type up a cast of characters so that I have the names and relationships lined up. Then, when it comes to connecting those scenes and filling in everything in between, I just sit down and write, winging it as I go. I’m a combination of an outliner and a panster.

 

Who is the "Writing Muse" in your life? I.E. who gets your juices flowing when you are blocked?

 

Most of the time when I’m blocked, all I have to do is step away from my computer and go do something routine that doesn’t require much concentration. That can be anything from taking a long walk to brushing my teeth. As soon as I stop trying to force it and my mind relaxes, the creative part of my brain usually kicks in again.

 

How many novels have you written including all work in progresses you are currently working on?

 

As Allie Ritch, I’ve written ten novels, four novellas, and three short stories.

 

Who is your "writing idol"? I.E. Who do you like and what is it about their writing that captures your soul?

 

My writing idol is Amanda Quick, aka Jayne Ann Krentz, aka Jayne Castle. I love the paranormal elements and suspense in her historical novels that she writes as Amanda Quick. I enjoy those same qualities in her contemporary works as Jayne Ann Krentz. And as a sci-fi fan, I adore the setting of planet Harmony in her Jayne Castle books. Her heroes are sexy, her characters (both the main and the minor) are interesting, and she always has me anxious to turn the page. What’s more, I think she’s a marketing genius. She started a story thread with the Arcane Society back in time with her historical Amanda Quick novels, continued the society through modern times as Jayne Ann Krentz, and then actually sent members of the Arcane Society to another planet in the future with her Jayne Castle books. Incredible!

 

What is your favorite plot line type?

 

I’m not sure this is a plot line as much as a theme, but I love stories about characters growing and coming into their own. For instance, a shy character comes out of his/her shell after finding love, someone bitter finally forgives and opens up, or a character embraces a lifestyle or relationship that suits him/her and finds happiness. I just like the idea of people discovering who they really are and fulfilling their potential.

 

Is there any advice you can offer to anyone who would like to write?

 

Write what you love. Experiment with different genres and styles if you haven’t found your voice yet, but realize that not every experiment will be a success. Being a writer, much like writing the books themselves, is a journey.

 

What is a good villain?

 

A good villain is one whose motives are as understandable as those of the hero and heroine. We readers know why they do what they do even if we hate them for it. A good villain is also memorable. We all remember Sherlock Holmes, but we also don’t forget Professor Moriarty.

 

ar_vt1_drinkingpartners225x300

 

Vampire Territory 1: Drinking Partners

 

Blurb: Being the master vampire for the Mid-Atlantic Territory is a tough job. Between the Human Rebellion trying to kill him with poisonous suicide donors and snobby born vampires bucking his authority, Lucas Thane has his hands full. What he needs is a regular drinking partner to feed from and a bigger power block. He finds both in the form of Alexandra Gage, the master of the territory south of his.

 

Alex could use a little help herself, but she has no intention of letting Lucas take over. Turned into a vampire against her will, she has had enough control taken from her. She’ll never let Lucas usurp her right to rule, but will she let him steal her heart? Passion ignites between them, and it’s amazing what vampire bodies can do.

 

An Excerpt from Drinking Partners:

He dropped his hand from her scalp to her arm and slid his fingertips to her inner elbow. “We’ll have to wait until you heal to explore more, but perhaps you’d like a preview of what vampire bodies can do? We have sharper senses than humans. We have better sight, hearing, and smell, of course. And we have a far more acute sense of touch.”

 

Alex released an embarrassingly loud moan. All he was doing was touching her arm, and her whole body became an open nerve ending. Goosebumps spread across her body and made her shiver in delight. Her sex bloomed for him, spilling moisture onto the crotch of her panties until she was sure he had to feel it through his pant leg.

 

All rational thought abandoned her when he continued to stroke her skin down to her wrist. With her free hand, she fisted the thick, silky hair at the back of his head and pulled his lips to hers. His mouth was already open to receive her, his tongue quick to follow. Heat exploded between them, more nourishing than the richest blood she’d ever swallowed. It filled her until she felt as if she’d burst.

 

She’d had no idea she could feel such sexual intensity. Their tongues tangled and dueled for supremacy, and neither of them gave any quarter. The feel of her fangs extending only made her more aggressive. She would have mounted him then and there if he hadn’t held her still on his lap. Then she felt his fangs framing her questing tongue like bookends. The reminder that he was also a vampire—that she was kissing a vampire—slammed into her and made her pull back.

 

Lucas released her instantly, though he kept her from moving too much and reopening her wounds. He remained still until she stopped panting. She could feel both their heartbeats galloping like they’d come fresh from a battle. In a way, maybe they had.

 

“It’s all right.” He cupped the side of her head and eased it down to rest on his shoulder. “You’re a sensual woman, Alexandra Gage. I look forward to getting to know you better.”

 

Loose Id

Amazon 

ARe 

 

 

2 comments:

I’m on Ink Motions | Allie Ritch, author said...

[…] Today I’m being interviewed by Taige Crenshaw at Ink Motions. Learn more about me and my new vampire romance, Drinking Partners, at http://taigecrenshaw.com/blog/2015/01/19/ink-motions-with-allie-ritch/ […]

Allie Ritch said...

Thanks for having me here today, Taige.

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...