Monday, March 17, 2014

Ink Motions with Caitlin Ricci

tcinkmotions-sm3-300x172

 

Caitlin was fortunate growing up to be surrounded by family and teachers that encouraged her love of reading. She has always been a voracious reader and that love of the written word easily morphed into a passion for writing. If she isn't writing, she can usually be found studying as she works toward her counseling degree. She comes from a military family and the men and women of the armed forces are close to her heart. She also enjoys gardening, hiking, and horseback riding in the Colorado Rockies where she calls home with her wonderful fiance and their two dogs. Her belief that there is no one true path to happily ever after runs deeply through all of her stories.



www.caitlinricci.com



authorcaitlinricci@gmail.com


RescuingJackLG

 

Werewolves are real. Marius enjoys the irony that everyone calls him a dog whisperer, not just because he’s a werewolf, but for his work at the local animal shelter. He has a unique talent for pairing families with their perfect pets upon first meeting them. But he’s still looking for acceptance and a forever family of his own. Then Jack comes into the rescue looking for a big, mean dog. To prevent Jack from making the wrong choice, Marius convinces him to adopt a needy spaniel mix instead. But when Marius learns Jack is tormented by horrible memories while at his apartment, he opens his home to the sweet, scared man. As their relationship grows, Jack feels comfortable telling Marius about the horrors he suffered. Marius hopes his steady presence, protection, and love can help Jack reclaim the pieces of himself broken on that terrible night.




Interview with Caitlin


 

When or what made you decide to become an author?

I’d always been a reader and so writing wasn’t that far of a jump for me but it was a counselor when I was young that suggested I give it a try as a way to change what was happening in my own life at the time. I couldn’t actually change the events but I could write them differently. From there characters started showing up.

 

How do you get an idea for your novel?

I knew that I wanted to write about an animal rescue at some point and the characters started falling into place. I had Marius first and then his best friend and everyone else in his life but it wasn’t until I was looking through dreamstime.com to find characters for another book that I found Jack.

 

What is the inspiration you use?

A lot of my inspiration comes from looking at photos of future characters. If I need to find a character inspiration image for a cover I block off a good chunk of my day to do it because I know that there will be at least a dozen more characters out there begging for attention by the time I find the one I originally went in to find.

 

What is your writing style?  Do you just sit down and write or do you create character sketches, outlines, or notes?

It depends on the story. Some flow perfectly and I don’t need notes. A series usually requires notes. Co-authored books always need notes and an outline. In general though I try to just go with it. I know that my characters are going to go off course anyway so I try not to put anything down too concretely to start with.

 

Who is the "Writing Muse" in your life? I.E. who gets your juices flowing when you are blocked?

My guy. I walk up to him, tell him I’ve got a problem, and he gives me a dozen ways to fix it. Its fantastic because he also gives me more ideas to write about as well.

 

Walk me though the way you create a novel from conception to completion.

There is no typical path but generally it starts with an idea or a picture of a character or place that needs attention. I’ll mock up the basics and decide what kind of relationship this person should have and what their life is like. I’ll spend some more time on dreamstime to get some images for my pinterest board so that I have something to look at and reference when I need to. Then I pick some music to start writing to, open Write or Die and then jump into it. Its typically done in less than a month and I’ll have something going on the side too in case I get blocked somewhere or need a break from an emotional scene. Then give it a read through, fix glaring errors, and sub it to a publisher.

 

What is the type of voice you use and why?

I generally use third person though I have played with first person recently. I like them both but third feels more natural to me.

 

How many novels have you written including all work in progresses you are currently working on?

That depends on what length you consider a novel. I’ll go with nine-thirteen since some of the works in progress might turn out to be a little shorter but it’s a minimum of nine.

 

Who is your "writing idol"? I.E. Who do you like and what is it about their writing that captures your soul?

I have a lot of them. Generally anyone that can make me really connect with a character or that shows me something new I like.

 

What is you favorite plot line type?.

Anything that ends in an HEA. I’ll read almost anything as long as I know everything will be okay for these characters in the end.

 

What is your current work in progress and how did get the idea for the Work in

My current project is a MF erotic romance that was inspired by a girl I saw checking people out at a grocery store once last year. She had really sad eyes and I decided to write a story where she got a happily ever after.

 

Describe the major conflict between the heroes in your novel?

In Rescuing Jack, the conflict is Jack’s own personal demons and his recovery from a horrific experience. He doesn’t want to let anyone into his life and refuses as much as possible, but Marius slowly works his way through patience and understanding.

 

Is there any advice you can offer to anyone who would like to write?

Make writing a habit and trust your gut. Submit even if you don’t think you’re ready because even a rejection will often come with advice on how to improve your work.

 

Where are the bodies buried? IE Is there any old work in progresses you threw aside and decided not to complete and why?

I have quite a few that I’ve pressed pause on for one reason or another but I don’t like to let anything just sit and so I’ll be picking those stories up again this year and finishing them off from now until probably sometime late next year.

 

What is a good villain?

Anyone can be evil but the best villains are the ones that a reader can sympathize with. You know they do bad things but you understand why and sometimes even find yourself rooting for them. Loki and Kahn are my favorite examples.

 

Are there any last comments you may want to include?

Thank you for having me and you can find Rescuing Jack here from Dreamspinner Press.

 

http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4665

 

 

No comments:

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...