Monday, March 10, 2014

Ink Motions with Gail Bridges

tcinkmotions-sm3-300x172

 

Ink Motions – Interview with Gail Bridges


 

When or what made you decide to become an author?

 I've always written. As for wanting to be an author, from the time I was about twelve years old, I dreamed of being published. I remember walking to and from school, a trek of about half a mile, lost in thoughts of being all grown up and writing and publishing book after book. I even made up plots and scenes and titles for my future novels.

How do you get an idea for your novel?

 Most of the time, great ideas just seem to come to me unbidden. Sometimes one idea will lead to another, and so on. I jot down these ideas and often I won't use them, but just the act of writing them down will make a better idea take form.

What is your writing style?  Do you just sit down and write or do you create character sketches, outlines, or notes?

My process has changed with time. When I first started writing, I didn't have much idea where a story was heading or how I would get there. Now, I pretty much have the main plot elements figured out and have a decent idea of who my characters are before I even start. 

Who is the “Writing Muse” in your life? I.E. who gets your juices flowing when you are blocked?

 My husband is my writing muse. He is a genius of a developmental editor, and he is always willing to let me bounce ideas off him if I feel a bit stuck. He reads everything that I write and offers spot-on feedback that vastly improves my work.

Walk me though the way you create a novel from conception to completion.

I've already mentioned that I begin a novel with a very good idea of where it is going, and the fact that my husband offers developmental editing. Before a novel gets to the point where he reads 50-page chunks of it and makes his critiques, I will have written and re-written the part many times. When he and I have completed the back-and-forth, I then go back and do a few final passes of the novel before I send it off to my editor. 

What is the type of voice you use and why?

 I write in first person. I feel that first person offers a close, intimate narrative that draws the reader in.

How many novels have you written including all work in progresses you are currently working on?

 I have written five books. One is a memoir of my seventeen years as a craft show artist. Four are novels (of which one is science fiction).

Who is your “writing idol”? I.E. Who do you like and what is it about their writing that captures your soul?

Octavia Butler, a wonderful science fiction author, is my writing idol. I adore her feminist take on issues which are as relevant as they are outlandish.

What is you favorite plot line type?.

I love a great survivor story. "The Gray", my science fiction novel, is a survivor story. In a way, so is my most recent work, "Inn on the Edge", where the main characters must fight to save themselves from a demon who has captured them on their honeymoon. 

What is your current work in progress and how did get the idea for it?

 I am currently working on "Over the Edge" - which is a prequel to "Inn on the Edge". It is set in the same world, and has the same sex demons. It is shaping up to be deliciously spicy and frightening.

Describe the major conflict between the hero and heroine in your novel?

 The hero is a demon - although he doesn't mention this fact to the heroine until halfway through the story. There is also the small problem that, although he is deeply in love with her, he has been using her to learn how to wield his demon powers.

Is there any advice you can offer to anyone who would like to write?

My advice would be to work at it. Hone your craft, like any other thing you wish to excel at. 

Where are the bodies buried? IE Is there any old work in progresses you threw aside and decided not to complete and why?

 Luckily, I do not have any works in progress that I've abandoned. However, I do have many "plot bunnies" - ideas - that I've jotted down and then never came back to.

What is a good villain?

 Mr. Abiba, the villain of "Inn on the Edge", has character traits that keep him from being a total monster. When he's not being manipulative and cruel to the main characters, he is truly kind and considerate.

Are there any last comments you may want to include?

Writing is a beautiful thing. More than anything, I love shaping words and thoughts into new worlds. It is my greatest joy to bring my inner thoughts alive so that other people may enjoy them.

 

innontheedge_msr

 




"Inn on the Edge" Book Blurb:




Angela and her brand-new husband Josh have just arrived at their honeymoon destination, a romantic bed-and-breakfast hotel on the breath-taking Washington coast – the Inn on the Edge.

But everything isn’t as it seems. The lessons that come free with the room aren’t for painting the lovely coastal scenery – the lessons are for better sex. Angie and Josh, shocked and titillated, immerse themselves in every sensual offering with each other and with the other newlywed couples at the Inn.


It doesn’t take long for things to go horribly wrong. They discover that the old man running the place is a sex demon, who has been stealing their sensual energy. Worse, he’s dangerously in love with Angie and he has plans for her – plans involving an heirloom wedding ring.





"Inn on the Edge" Buy Links:


Ellora's Cave: http://www.ellorascave.com/inn-on-the-edge.html


Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Inn-Edge-Gail-Bridges-ebook/dp/B00H2L3TSU/ref=la_B00HCRT8G6_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390281804&sr=1-1


Gail Bridges Author Photo

I have three grown children. I live in Seattle, Washington with my husband and our five cats.

In the past I have worked in a variety of different artistic media. I have a BFA in painting from the University of Washington, and  for over fifteen years I made award-winning Fine Art Jewelry (silver and handmade ceramics) and sold my work at local and regional Fine Art and Craft shows. My business, Vivid Arts, flourished – but always, I felt driven to write. Two years ago, no longer able to deny the writing muse, I took an open-ended sabbatical from my art shows. Since then, I’ve written a number of novels and several published and unpublished short stories.



Social Media:


website: www.gailbridges.com

blog: http://gailbridges.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @GailWBridges

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/gailbridges123/


No comments:

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...