Monday, March 23, 2015

Ink Motions with Marianne Rice

MarianneRiceBrief bio:

Marianne Rice writes contemporary romances set in small New England towns. Her heroes are big and strong, yet value family and humor, while her heroines her smart, sexy, sometimes a little bit sassy, and are often battling a strong internal conflict. Together, they deal with real life issues and always find everlasting love. When she's not writing, Marianne spends her time buying shoes, eating chocolate, chauffeuring her herd of children to their varying sporting events, and when there's time, relaxing with fancy drinks and a great read. She tries to make time for her husband too, but he often places behind her love affair with books. Connect with her on Facebook or visit her website at www.mariannerice.weebly.com

 

 

 

 

 

Ink Motions - Interview

 

Thank you, Taige, for welcoming me to your blog!

 

How do you get an idea for your novel?

I like to take real life issues: domestic abuse, adoption, death, diabetes, autism, anxiety, single parenting, and turn them into a love story. I love to see how a hero and heroine work through the lemons life hands out and turn it into…a lemon drop martini. Something sweet, sexy and a little out of control. I like writing about small towns and close families…which end up turning into series. My intent was never to be a series writer, but that’s what each book turns into.

 

What is your writing style?  Do you just sit down and write or do you create.

I’m a “cooker”. I don’t plot out my stories on paper, or spreadsheets or sticky notes, but I can’t sit down and stare at a blank page and make it come to life. I play a lot of make-believe in my head. I run through scenes, scenarios, plot twists while trying to fall asleep. Hmm, maybe that’s why I’m always so tired in the morning? Anyway, by the time I’ve found time to actually sit down and write, I’ve gone through my book a few times. New scenes pop up while I’m writing, but the gist of the story has already been “cooked”.

 

 

How many novels have you written including all work in progresses you are currently working on?

I’ve written seven novels—er, let’s call it six. The first should never see the light of day. All writers have one of those, right? False Start, the first in The McKay-Tucker Men came out in February. False Hope comes out April 20th and False Impressions comes out June 29th of this year. The series centers around three brothers who are as different as can be, and the women who can finally tame them. I have another series, The Wilde Sisters, complete and am hoping to have it out next year, and have finished writing book one in The Rocky Harbor series, which centers around a family of adopted children…all grown up and looking for love. There’s another sports centered series coming to light as well. All I need now is the time to write them.

 

Who is your "writing idol"? I.E. Who do you like and what is it about their writing that captures your soul?

Oh, so hard to choose! I write contemporary romance, so I’m drawn to Jill Shalvis, Kristan Higgins, Carly Phillips, Jill Sanders and Susan Elizabeth Phillips. But there are so many other go-to authors as well. I love humor and these lovely ladies do it so naturally.

 

 

What is you favorite plot line type?

I love twists and a surprise ending. Yes, we know the HEA has to happen, but make me think there is no stinkin’ way for the hero and heroine to come together. Love, love, love it! And I love guy humor. I’m so not a feminist and appreciate the alpha-male banter. I love when the big, bad, strong guy turns soft and sensitive. *gush* I’d love to hear from all of you. What is YOUR favorite plot line? Comment below J

 

Is there any advice you can offer to anyone who would like to write?

Don’t stop. Ever. The more you write, the more stories you tell, the more workshops you attend, the better your writing becomes. Don’t spend so much time on one book that you start to hate it. You should love all of your work. Finish it and move on to the next story. Then, when you need a break from creating the new WIP, go back and edit the prior story. By then you’ll probably have picked up more writing tips and can incorporate them into your writing.

 

 

 

Now I’d like to introduce you to Meg and Connor from False Start. They have many issues they need to tackle before they can find true love.

 

“We need to talk.”

Startled by the deep growl, Meg Fulton looked up to the towering stack of testosterone filling her office doorway and cursed the butterflies that fluttered in her stomach.

She straightened her posture, ran her hand through her thick hair in an attempt to put all the strays back in place, and then reached for the lapels of the suit coat that wasn’t there. She felt vulnerable in her silk tank top and wished she had an extra layer to shield her from the menacing daggers targeted at her. Putting on the jacket would only make a spectacle of herself. The thin tank would have to do.

“Sure. Have a seat.” She crossed her legs and attempted to smile. Inwardly, Meg groaned. Connor McKay. She’d noticed him on the football field coaching his athletes and had not looked forward to the expected confrontation.

He remained in the doorway, making no move toward the empty seats across from her desk. His blond hair was short, barely longer than the scruff on his face, and as she looked up she saw his eyes—a fierce, fiery blue filled with accusation and something that ranged between confusion and lust.

 

falsestart

 

Blurb:

After a drunken, abusive experience with a jock in high school, Meg Fulton ended up a single mother with a tough hide. Now, a brand-new high school principal, she uses her sharp tongue to keep men at a safe distance, until Connor McKay walks into the picture. She can't stand him. He's a sports-loving alpha male--no thanks! But her path continues to cross Connor's, and as attraction heats to a boiling point, Meg learns there's more to him than biceps and a tight rear end.

 

Ex-NFL player turned high school football coach, Connor McKay is well loved by all--except the intelligent, sexy, new principal who wants to change his athletic program. When they're set up on a blind date, he's finally able to crack Meg's wall.

 

Things are heating up between them when someone from her past threatens to tear them apart. It will take a leap of faith for Meg to shed the scars of her past and let love into her life.

 

Buy Links:

Amazon: http://bit.ly/FalseStart

Amazon UK: http://bit.ly/FalseStartUK

Kobo: http://bit.ly/FalseStartKobo

Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/FalseStartBandN

iBooks: http://bit.ly/FalseStartiBooks

Books a Million: http://bit.ly/FalseStartBAM

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I wonder how you can cook your ideas while you wait for sleep; I did that for years without writing, and now thinking of stories makes me sleepy!

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...