Monday, September 28, 2015

Ink Motions with Errin Stevens

tcinkmotions-sm3



Errin Stevens writes paranormal romance novels from her home in Minnesota, where she lives with her husband and son. Her first novel, Updrift, will debut with Liquid Silver Books in October 2015. For more information and updates, visit Errin’s web site at http://errinstevens.com.

How do you get an idea for your novel?

I’ll have a character in mind and sometimes a few scenes, and if these threads stay with me for more than a day or two – where I can’t stop thinking about them – I’ll spend a week trying to develop them into actual narrative during my daily writing sessions. If the story grows in a way I like and other characters and plot elements come to light as I work, I’ll commit to writing the whole shebang into a novel. And I’ve led myself down the garden path more times than I can stand to think about!

What is your writing style? Do you just sit down and write or do you create some other mechanism to help you?

I start out writing on the fly and then at some undefined point (20,000 – 40,000 words?), I create a story map, which is a Word document with a grid that shows plot progression by chapter. This often helps me realize what needs to happen next in my story when I’m stuck, as well as where I’ve left gaping holes.

Who is the “Writing Muse” in your life? I.E. who gets your juices flowing?

I have always loved to read, and I’m pretty indiscriminate in my tastes, since I truly do like almost everything. I do remember being blown away by “Three Junes” (2002 National Book Award winner) by Julia Glass. Blown. Away. Her use of voice, which I’m pretty sure is not admired by many editors nowadays was so crisp, so brilliant. And I’ve never seen the man or even spent much time hunting down info on him online, but I consider myself an Ian McEwan groupie. His writing is so dang fabulous.

How many novels have you written including all work in progresses you are currently working on?

I have three drafted, all in the same series.

Who is your “writing idol”? I.E. Who do you like and what is it about there writing that captures your soul?

In addition to the high-brow folks I mentioned above, I love reading passages from Kresley Cole’s “Immortals After Dark” series for fun, quippy dialogue. J.R. Ward does a rock star job on this front too.

What is you favorite plot line type?

Romantic suspense, no question.

Is there any advice you can offer to anyone who would like to write?

Just do it. If you’re digging for advice by reading through blogs like this one, you’re toast anyway, so why not give in and write it all out? ;-) Know your work will be rejected more often than you can possibly imagine, stay open to growing and learning regardless, and when you need to, check out those web sites that showcase rejections of well-respected authors, ‘cause they’re a hoot.

What is a good villain?

I remember one creative writing teacher telling me a novel can only be as strong overall as the antagonist is strong. I had to think about that for a year before I really understood it, but the professor was right. Make your bad guy/girl multi-dimensional, and more importantly, sympathetic. Give the reader relatable reasons for why he or she does all that evil. Your other characters – in fact your whole story – will be more compelling.

 
Blurb for Updrift

Since her father died, Kate Sweeting’s home life has been in the pits, her well-being on life support. Her future looks desolate until she and her mother, Cara, make another plan: abandon their shriveled existence for more promising prospects on the coast, where her mom can play small-town librarian-bachelorette and Kate can figure out what’s up with the secretive Blake family from the beach.

Everyone is eerily captivated with Kate and her mother, and Cara is the first to figure out why when the man of her dreams arrives all dripping and devoted and closed-mouthed about what he intends. Kate is willing to go along with their subterfuge for a while, but eventually makes a charge for the water to learn what her mother is hiding. Gabe Blake is there waiting for her…and so is someone considerably less friendly. By the time Kate navigates her way home, everything will have changed for her—what she feels, what she wants, and what she will risk to be with the man she loves.

 

Goodreads  |

No comments:

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...