Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Ink Motions with Haley Whitehall

tcinkmotions-sm3



Haley Whitehall lives in Washington State where she enjoys all four seasons and the surrounding wildlife. She writes historical romance set in the 19th century U.S. When she is not researching or writing, she plays with her cats, watches the Western and History Channels, and goes antiquing. She is hoping to build a time machine so she can go in search of her prince charming. A good book, a cup of coffee, and a view of the mountains make her happy.

Social Media Links:
Author Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Pinterest |
Author Amazon Profile Page

Interview:
When or what made you decide to become an author?

I’ve always wanted to be an author since I was four years old. I grew up telling stories long before I learned how to write. I never wavered by passing the doctor, vet, and ballerina stages. Naturally writing was the only career path for me.

How do you get an idea for your novel?

I got the idea for Midnight Caller by reading Black Life on the Mississippi by Thomas C. Buchanan. Many of my historical romances are inspired by true events. Sometimes fact is stranger than fiction, such as colored steamboat workers pleasuring white women at night.

What is the inspiration you use?

Do you mean what inspires me? Usually something I read or something I watch on TV. Many historical stories do not end well, and I reimagine them with a romantic happily ever after.

What is your writing style? Do you just sit down and write or do you create character sketches, outlines, or notes?

I work with a general outline of the beginning, middle, and end. I have notes with each character’s goals and motivations and the character arcs, plot arc, and romance arc for my story.

Who is the "Writing Muse" in your life? I.E. who gets your juices flowing when you are blocked?

When I’m blocked I go for a walk or a hike or try to immerse myself in anything mindless like watching a movie or listening to music. I have found forcing ideas to come rarely works.

Walk me though the way you create a novel from conception to completion.

I start by writing a very basic outline and sometimes doing brief character sketches. After I have written the first draft I dig deeper into my characters and make notes for revision, write a more detailed outline, and plot/romance arcs. I edit and refine the story accordingly and then send the next draft to my alpha and beta readers. I use their valued feedback to guide my next editing passes and refine until I feel the story is complete.

What is the type of voice you use and why?

I write with a serious voice and often tackle serious issues like racism and poverty in my novels. I think books can teach readers about the world they live in and even more about themselves. I like to think my books are educational and not just about history. There is a lot we can learn about the human condition.

How many novels have you written including all work in progresses you are currently working on?

If I count my works in progress that number grows weekly! I’ve published 21 stories and I probably have just as many WIPs. The plot bunnies keep coming.

Who is your "writing idol"? I.E. Who do you like and what is it about their writing that captures your soul?

I suppose my writing idol is Beverly Jenkins. She made African American historical romance popular, and has made a name for herself mostly writing in that genre. I love her books.

What is your favorite plot line type?

I enjoy reading many different tropes, but when it comes to writing I tend to gravitate toward forbidden love and star-crossed lovers.

What is your current work in progress and how did get the idea for the Work in Progress?

My current work in progress is a historical romance adaptation of a historical fiction novel I’ve already published. I’ve had many readers ask for the romance version. The Native American/African-American story was inspired by a dream.

Describe the major conflict between the hero and heroine in your novel?

The major conflict in Midnight Caller is the fact that southern society declares the hero and heroine should never be together. By lying with Emma, a white woman, Frederick is putting his life in danger and her reputation.

Is there any advice you can offer to anyone who would like to write?

Take as many writing classes as you can, read books on craft, constantly read books in multiple genres and just write. It often takes many novels which will never see the light of day before you write something worthy of publishing.

Where are the bodies buried? IE Is there any old work in progresses you threw aside and decided not to complete and why?

I have a few stories that need a lot of work. One I started in high school and others I wrote experimenting with plot devices. I doubt my historical mystery WIP will ever see the light of day. I apparently can’t write mystery!

What is a good villain?

A good villain is a well-developed character who is believable and has motivations behind their actions. A good villain will pose a difficult challenge to the goals the hero/heroine wishes to achieve.

Are there any last comments you may want to include?

Happy endings are not just for romance novels. Please do not give up on love.

 

Midnight Caller eBook Cover Large



Re-Release: (Midnight Caller, Haley Whitehall, Liquid Silver Books. This is a re-edited and lengthened version. It also answers one burning question readers were left with after reading the original story.)

Life without love is painful, but in the Reconstruction Era South forbidden fruit can be deadly. A fiery romance between a widow and an African-American man has more consequences than either of them imagined.

Slavery has ended, but racial prejudice remains in Kentucky. Emma Bennett guards a secret that could destroy her life. Until now she never considered the price of her security. Becoming a well-respected member in Louisville had seemed a dream come true, but at what cost?

Her husband’s death from a carriage accident releases Emma from her loveless, controlling marriage. Now she has a chance to find happiness and raise a family. But before she begins courting again she wants to experience her freedom. At the advice of the leading socialite in town, she takes a black lover to fulfill her sexual needs. His raw masculine power awakens feelings she didn’t know existed. After the first touch, she craves more.

Frederick works as a roustabout by day and moonlights as a prostitute. He knows better than to fall in love with his white client, but Emma enchants him the first time he calls on her. To keep them both safe, he works hard to put up barriers. Unfortunately, he can’t protect Emma from the slimy Mr. Hawthorne, who wants her as his bride. Frederick vows to keep her safe even if his forbidden love costs him his life.

Note: This novella contains explicit romance and is suitable for readers 18+


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An excerpt

He held his breath, his insides pressed together. Was she going to send him away?
Finally, her lips settled in a smile. “Shall we go to the bedroom?”
“As you wish, ma’am.” He managed to sound casual despite his hardening cock. When he took off his clothes she’d find out in an instant how attractive he found her, how much he desired her, the power she held over him. His entire body heated, embarrassment rivaling the fire of passion.
Already his thoughts had moved past coffee and to his delightful business. He couldn’t wait to see her naked, know the curve of her breasts, let his hands roam her hips. He’d laid with a lot of women, but never one as young and as sumptuous as this one.
“Strip to the waist and sit on the bed.”
“Yes, ma’am.” Frederick yanked off his shoes, and then he folded and piled his coat, vest, and shirt neatly on the floor before sitting on the edge of the mattress. The attraction between them was strong and undeniable. He was a bee and she was a beautiful rose. He was sure her nectar would be delicious, if only he would be granted a taste. Whether he would be granted a taste was in her hands. She was paying for an experience and it was his duty to give her whatever she wanted. It wasn’t in his nature to submit, but the sight of her beauty as she stood before him, made it more bearable.
He knew his job after more secret trysts than he could count and fell into his role with ease. He wanted to please Emma, satisfy her every desire. The excitement in her gaze tempered, and he sensed her hesitation. Hopefully she’d muster the confidence to play her part.
“Spread your legs.” Emma sauntered into him, standing between his splayed thighs. She traced every muscle in his chest. The pads of her fingers caressed him, almost teasing. He tightened his stomach muscles, but was unable to prevent a tiny shudder.
Her smile widened, revealing a row of perfectly straight teeth. A thrum of pleasure rushed through him.
He wanted to wrap his arms around her but resisted. He had not been given permission.
Amazon Universal Buy Link: http://getbook.at/MidnightCaller

1 comment:

Haley Whitehall said...

Thank you so much for having me! I enjoyed the author interview. :)

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...