Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Ink Motions with Roslyn Bane

tcinkmotions-sm3

Ink Motions Blog

How do you get an idea for your novel?

At times I will see a person that catches my eye and I have the basics for a character. Other times I may overhear snippets of conversation and my imagination takes over. Local and national news events sometimes inspire story.

I try to put real life issues into my books; abuse, post-traumatic stress disorder, loss of a loved one, and see how the characters respond to these stressors. I like to see people beat the odds.

My stories are based in small towns or smaller cities. Everything I am currently working on is planned as part of a series.
What is your writing style? Do you sit down and write or do you create?

Usually I wake up with an idea, and rush to get it down on paper. The longer I wait to put it down the more it changes. I don’t plot out in advance, and I don’t write from beginning to end. As different scenes and scenarios appear in my mind I put them down. I figure out the sequence later. Sometimes the same scenario will be written out several times with various twists and turns until it feels right. Usually the scenes first written end up near the middle of the book. The better I get to know my characters the faster the story develops.

Who is the “Writing Muse” in your life? Music helps me get motivated to write, and if often sets the tone for the character/scene I am working with.
How many novels have you written including all work in progress you are currently working on?

I have one complete novel and three under way, all in various stages of development and in different series.
Who is your writing idol?

That really depends on genre. For horror Stephen King and Edgar Allen Poe. The depth of the characters and scenes is amazing. King is excellent in describing his villain so well but still leaving just enough description out that the readers own imagination can finish filling in its appearance. For romance it depends on subgenre. I prefer contemporary romance and enjoy Nora Roberts, for romantic comedy I enjoy Misty Simon. In LGBT Romance I like Isabella and the depth of character she brings to her female heroines.
What is your favorite plot line?

My favorite plot line is pretty much that something horrible has happened to the heroine— it may have occurred years earlier or just recently. Whatever the timing it changes the heroine in ways that make her strong, independent and surprisingly vulnerable. I write romance so there is going to be a happy ever after, but the characters are going to have to acknowledge and confront their demons and weaknesses.
Is there any advice you can offer to anyone who would like to write?

Just start writing. Put your ideas down, you can refine them later. Make writing a priority, and find time to write every day, even if it’s only 50 words. Also read books on the craft of writing, join RWA, and your local chapter. If you don’t live close to a local chapter, join an online chapter. Take online courses on writing craft and go to conferences whenever possible.
What is a good villain?

My characters usually have to conquer their own internal conflict, so the villain within themselves is their most feared adversary.

 

timeforterri -1 finalBlurb

One woman has given up on love. One is trying to find her place in a new town. When their lives collide, they must find a way to put their pasts behind them and learn to trust and love again. Time for Terri is a great beginning to Roslyn Bane’s new contemporary romance series, Smoky Mountain Romance.

Terri Greene is a professional photographer who travels the world but calls the small town of Bryson City, NC home. She has made a nice life for herself and kept her painful past deeply buried. She has a reputation for being friendly but elusive. She hammered her heart shut years ago and has long since given up hope for a loving relationship.

Sheila McDevitt, a new arrival to town, has opened a veterinary practice and is determined to succeed in this close-knit community. Viewed as an outsider, she struggles to grow her practice. Unfinished business from her past causes difficulties with her current plans.

When these two women’s lives intersect the changes are unforeseeable. As trust grows and inner demons are tamed, can they see past their own busy professional lives and find success in the part of life that matters most.

EXCERPT

Terri accelerated the bike smoothly, when Sheila tightened her grip she was able to suppress her groan but not the quiver in her abdomen. The air was starting to chill as the sun drifted lower in the sky, long shadows crossing the road. She felt Sheila shiver. “Move close to me to stay warm. Let me know if you get too cold.” A moment later she felt Sheila lean into her, hold on tighter. Over the next twenty minutes she felt her occasionally squirm, felt her legs press slightly tighter around her own hips. Thirty minutes later they made the turn the turn to Terri’s house. “Hold on tight it’s really bumpy.” Terri drove the bike confidently up the steep bumpy road. Finally it leveled and she turned into her driveway. Stopping the bike she turned it off. Waited while Sheila got off, removed her helmet. She then swung off, and quickly removed her helmet. “Are you warm enough?”

“Yes. Now that the wind stopped. I’m fine.”

“Good.” She pulled Sheila towards her in a fierce, passionate kiss that had both of them breathless quickly. Lust raced through her body and her heart pounded. She tightened her arms around Sheila’s waist. Heard her own groan.

Sheila returned the kiss with fervent passion, her hands ran across the stiff leather. She desperately wanted to feel flesh. The kiss broke, Sheila nearly staggered. Terri took her hand pulled her to the porch. She backed Sheila up against the door frame, held her hands held above her head as their mouths met again.

BOOK BUY LINKS

Amazon

 

Roslyn Bane


Author Bio


Roslyn Bane wrote poetry and short stories in high school which remained largely unseen except by her closest friends. She grew up in Maryland and has lived in the Florida panhandle, coastal Virginia and Wisconsin.

She now lives near York, Pennsylvania with her family and two lovable labs.

She spends her free time in the outdoors enjoying photography, swimming, bicycling, canoeing, kayaking and downhill skiing. A voracious reader, she enjoys books from many genres. She has a weakness for chocolate and fresh cookies. She loves the smell of rain in the woods, and watching the night sky. The inspiration for, her stories comes from daily life, hobbies, her love of the outdoors, and people watching.

She is a member of the Romance Writers of America, Central Pennsylvania Romance Writers, Passionate Ink, and Rainbow Romance Writers.

Find Roslyn on the web at:

Website: www.roslynbane.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/roslynbane

Twitter: @RosBane

No comments:

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...