Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A Non-Carolers Memory

There are so many memories I have for Christmas. When I wrote my book Veils Rising I took the memories I had of Christmas growing up in St. Thomas. There is a different feeling to Christmas on the beautiful island where I grew up. When the holiday approached I would feel an excitement in the air. I’ve always equated Christmas with the smell of the baking of carrot cake, tart, and sweet bread. The sound of the steel pan playing a Christmas Carol. There is nothing like it.

One of my favorite memories was the Christmas carolers who performed in Emancipation Garden. I still remember my first time I went. I was in awe of all the various team of carolers that were there. Singing and having fun. Those in the audience joined in. One year especially I remember there was a friendly bet between two groups. One called themselves The Non-Carolers. And from the name you guessed it. The non-carolers didn’t sing all that well. Yet their enthusiasm and the good-natured rivalry between the two groups entertained everyone. It was a carol sing off that had people talking for a long time. It enhanced a tradition and became one. It was a Christmas memory that I treasure to this day.

In Veils Rising I mention briefly some of the things that I remembered that made holidays in St. Thomas so special when I grew up. In addition I wanted to explore some myths and then change them to make them my own. Dilana Storm a Zuri Maji who can’t wait for Christmas to be over. All the holiday cheer is bringing back painful memories. Magni Taggart is looking for someone to help him find a lost family heirloom. When he meets Dilana he is taken off guard by the chemistry they feel. Dilana’s travels lead her to St. Thomas during Christmas. It will be a Christmas that Dilana will not forget.

Here is the blurb for my Christmas story.

Veils Rising
Genre: Paranormal
Series: Rarities Incorporated ~ Book Three

Dilana Storm only wants Christmas to be over. All the holiday cheer is bringing back painful memories. Even the raunchy revelry of the annual party at Rarities Inc. cannot jump-start her holiday spirit. An unexpected visitor sets her on a wild ride that even she, a Zuri Maji, never expected.

Magni Taggart is used to following his instincts. They lead him to Rarities Inc. to search for his lost family heirloom. He never expected to meet an unusual woman who wakens all his primitive senses. For a man who trusts his instincts there is only one thing to do.

Read an Blurb and Excerpt of Veils Rising

Buy Veils Rising

Even though I now live in New York I still observe the traditions of baking for the holidays and giving it to family and friends. I hope you enjoyed my non-carolers memory.

What are some of your holiday memories?

No comments:

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...