Monday, December 09, 2013

Ink Motions with Haley Whitehall

tcinkmotions-sm3

 

Writing Interracial Romance with Haley Whitehall

 

Interracial romance is a budding genre. Despite having a hero and heroine from different races, the story elements are the same as in any romance. The reason I believe interracial romance is still young is because sadly it has taken so long to become acceptable. Interracial marriages didn’t become legal until 1967 and sadly enough the last state that held on till 2000 was Alabama.

 

I write historical romance which means when I have an interracial couple it throws another monkey wrench in the works. I’m not saying there wouldn’t be difficulties in a contemporary interracial romance, but in a historical it is even scandalous. I write historicals set during the Civil War era. Race was a hot button issue then—just think about the roots of the war. Setting my interracial couple during this time really ups the tension and I have to walk a tightrope between being historical accurate and respectful.

 

Why do I write interracial romance? Midnight Caller is an interracial romance between an African American man and a white woman. Living Half Free is a historical with an interracial romance element between an African American man and a Cherokee woman. In both of those stories I didn’t sit down planning to write an interracial romance. I start my stories by building my characters first. If my heroine’s perfect match happens to be a man of another race, so be it.

 

I’m excited to see that interracial romance is growing in popularity. I hope it continues.

midnightcaller cover

Life without love is painful, but in 1865 forbidden fruit can be deadly. When a wealthy widow decides to enjoy her new-found freedom, she puts more than her reputation on the line. An unwanted suitor means to have her, or no one will. From sizzling sex to life-threatening danger, the intrigue will keep you turning the pages of Midnight Caller, Haley Whitehall’s sizzling new romance.

When Emma Bennett’s husband dies in a carriage accident in 1865, she is released from her loveless, controlling marriage. Now she has a chance to find happiness and raise a family. But before she begins courting again she wants to experience her freedom. At the advice of the leading socialite in town, she takes a black lover to fulfill her sexual needs. His raw, masculine power awakens feelings she didn’t know existed. After the first touch she craves more.

Frederick works as a roustabout by day and moonlights as a prostitute. He knows better than to fall in love with his white client, but Emma enchants him the first time he calls on her. To keep them both safe, he works hard to put up barriers. Unfortunately, he can’t protect Emma from the slimy Mr. Hawthorne, who wants her as his bride. Frederick vows to keep her safe even if his forbidden love costs him his life.

 

Haley's Portrait for Slider

Author Bio:

Haley Whitehall lives in Washington State where she enjoys all four seasons and the surrounding wildlife. She writes historicals set in the 19th century U.S. When she is not researching or writing, she plays with her cats, watches the Western and History Channels, and goes antiquing. She is hoping to build a time machine so she can go in search of her prince charming. A good book, a cup of coffee, and a view of the mountains make her happy.

 

Social Media Links:

 

Haley loves to connect with readers. You can find her here:

Website: http://haleywhitehall.com/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/HaleyWhitehall

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LightonHistory

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5752677.Haley_Whitehall

Blog: http://haleywhitehall.com/blog/

4 comments:

Haley Whitehall said...

Sorry I didn't comment sooner. I was out of town. Thanks for hosting me.

Kimber Vale said...

Interesting post, Haley! I imagine an historical interracial romance would be rife with delicious tension--internal and external. Midnight Caller looks like a fantastic book!

TD Hassett said...

I have never thought about this issue. I have read a few novels that had characters of mixed race - thinking about Susan Johnson who had some Cherokee/ white characters and one story about a japanese/Irish guy. best wishes on your release!

Haley Whitehall said...

Thank you, TD. It is trickier in historicals, I think. Although I know of authors having trouble with contemporary interracial romances as well. I'm thinking of Fifty Shades of Jungle Fever. That created quite a stir.

I'm excited about Midnight Heat coming out Jan. 6th!

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...