Thursday, November 19, 2015

Between the Covers - Devi

Today's Between the Covers is an excerpt from my book.

Here is a few lines from Devi (Kemet Uncovered, Book # 2). Enjoy.

The following afternoon, Devi lay in her hammock, enjoying the idyllic day. Her doorbell chimed and she sighed, reluctant to get up.

“It’s open,” she called out.

The familiar masculine scent that had surrounded Rhodes told her who it was before he’d even made it through the house. Turning her head, she watched him step out onto the patio.

“Kind of dangerous, don’t you think, just inviting people in without knowing who it is?” he asked, giving her a disapproving look before putting a bouquet of flowers on the table.

She almost laughed at that, but smothered it. He was concerned about her. How cute.

Today, Rhodes wore khaki slacks and a dark blue polo-necked shirt. Licking her lips, she swung her legs over and got up from the comfort of her hammock. He glanced at her and swallowed. Hard.

She knew it was her outfit. Cream-coloured gauze woven with gold threads made up her halter-top dress with its deep V-neck. Although the material reached the floor, slits in the skirt ran up to the tops of her thighs. With each step she took, one leg flashed through. And she knew it looked good on her—hell, it had been made just for her.

“Cat got your tongue, Rhodes?”

His forehead had a sheen of sweat on it.

“No. That’s… It’s… Damn.”

“I take it that’s a good thing,” she said with an assured smile.

“Oh, yeah,” he rumbled. He flexed his fingers like he wanted to grab her.

“Thank you.”

He had to tear his gaze away from her nearly exposed chest. “What for?”

“The flowers. They’re beautiful.”

He acted as if he’d forgotten he’d even brought them. “You’re welcome,” he muttered, his gaze on her.

“Something I can do for you, Rhodes?”

“I came to ask you to dinner.” His voice still not as smooth as it had been.

“You didn’t call.”

“I wanted to see you.” His eyes burnt feverishly. “Luckily, I’m a resourceful man—you didn’t give me much to go on.”

“You are that. I knew you’d find me if you wished to see me.”

Warmth surrounded her at his admission. “I’ll go get changed.” She moved past him and headed towards the sliding door, then paused and glanced back over her left shoulder. “A little help?”

He approached and stood behind her. His size made her feel dainty and protected. Without a word, she moved her hair out of the way. Her skin tingled from the light brush of his fingertips as he undid the bow holding up her dress.

“There you go,” he whispered in her ear, his breath teasing her skin.

“Be right back.”

She let go of her hair and it swung back into place, covering her to the small of her back. He gasped as she left him there, in between indoors and out. Alone except for her dress, which had pooled at his feet.

Copyright © Taige Crenshaw and Aliyah Burke, 2012.
All Rights Reserved.


Buy here

More about Between the Covers

Read all Between the Covers here

No comments:

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...