Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Splish and Splash

“In paranormals you can work an insurmountable obstacle into a fantastic story. A story that will leave you not only rooting for the end that is satisfying but leaves you breathless and brings down the barriers of your mind letting your imagination take flight.” - Taige Crenshaw

Above is what I’ve said many times before and will always believe. Now lets explore another wondrous paranormal being.

I remember when I first fell in love with Mermaids. It was a picture that I saw one day shopping with my mom. It was so beautiful and mythical. Depicting a fantastical creature. After that I was enchanted (grin).

I saw as much movies I could on the subject. From Splash to the Little Mermaid I devoured anything on mermaids. Of course being an avid reader I found books on it too. Although at the time when I was much younger and hadn’t discovered there were mermaids in romance books also. Once I did boy was I in book reader heaven.

Mermaids are such a mysterious being. Underwater and some able to walk on land. They are seen as sexy, enchantress and alluring. They have been depicted as Sirens who led men to their doom or salvation. And usually in romance books you find they are female. Being that I like to turn things around I wrote two books so far about both sirens and mermaids and made them male. I plan on exploring more about both sirens and mermaids male as well as female.

Whichever type of mermaid you read they are interesting. The worlds they inhabit and what they do. For instance The Last Mermaid by Shana Abé which has what I like to call the power of 3 - three different books, set in the span of three different time periods, and with three different couples. These books have great myth and magic.

Another great mermaid series is Daughters of Arianne Series by Joey W. Hill. From the time I read A Mermaid’s Kiss the 1st book is the series I was captured and have waited for each to release. Each has gotten better.

I’ve read everything MaryJanice Davidson published. When I heard she was publishing a mermaid series I was jumping with joy. One of my fav author and mermaids- one of my fav paranormal creatures. I was so there. When Fred the Mermaid series hit the shelves I got the book and every one since. I even went to a workshop where MaryJanice Davidson talked about how she came up with Fred. MaryJanice mentioned she wanted to create an anti-Ariel. No fluffy happy to be a mermaid for Fred. She is cranky, pissed and snarky. I love it and still do.

These are only a few of the mermaid books out there. So many different ways to explore the mermaid culture. I look forward to reading as well as creating more in the mermaid lore. I’m always on searching for more mermaid books so come and share some of your fav’s.

1 comment:

Sammy said...

A great blog.

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...