Saturday, June 15, 2013

Snippet Saturday – Hot Pursuit

blog-header-option2


Today’s snippet theme is Hot Pursuit (going after the one you want). Enjoy a look from one of my books.

An snippet from Hurricane

“No. Just wanted to know more about you.”

Julianne controlled her expression, not wanting him to see her shock. Keenan’s smile, that same damn affable one, made her know that he was aware he’d unsettled her. She didn’t like it one bit. His hands rested on the table. Her mind flashed, imagining his fingers on her skin. Julianne stiffened.

“Well, now you know a bit. I would offer you a tour of the place, but I really need to get to work.” Julianne stood.

She gasped as Keenan moved to hold out her chair for her. For such a big man, he was fast.

“Thanks. Let me see you out.” She strode towards the door and reached to open it.

His hand on her arm stopped her. Julianne held in the shudder at his touch. She closed her eyes briefly and when she opened them she’d blanked her face into the business persona she used with a difficult client. It kept them at bay and offered her a shield of control. She glanced at him with a cool look. “Is there something further?”

“Trying to put up a barrier against me won’t work.”

“I don’t have any idea what you mean.” The lie rolled off her tongue easily.

Internally, she cursed. She was usually blunt and able to handle things.

“You do. It was the same reason that I was so rude at the hospital when I spoke with you. There’s a spark between us, Julianne.” Keenan’s smile was gentle and his look knowing. The sound of her first name in his sexy voice was almost her undoing. Julianne refused to let him affect her—she pulled her arm away from his. Keenan stroked her skin before her released her.

“All we have is business. And, since that’s done, we have nothing further to say,” she replied.

“We had business. I didn’t want to pursue anything while I was doing my investigation. Now that it’s complete, there’s a lot for us to discuss. I want to get to know you better, Julianne. Have dinner with me?” Keenan’s light green gaze was intent.

“I don’t date,” she said, firmly.

“Why?” he fired back.

Julianne gritted her teeth. It figured he would push the issue and question her. “None of your business. Even if I did date, I don’t like aggressive men.”

“That’s good to know, since I’m not aggressive.” Keenan grinned affably.

“Could have fooled me,” Julianne muttered.

“I do go after what I want,” he said softly.

Julianne was caught by the look in his eyes. It was tender and possessive. She clenched her fist. He had no right to have such an expression. They didn’t know each other.

But you want to, her inner voice goaded.

No, I don’t, she countered.

Keep lying to yourself. You want to go out with him, the infernal voice said.

No, I do not. He’s already driving me to talk to myself. I don’t need the hassle, she told herself firmly.

Julianne wrenched open the door, gesturing for him to leave. Keenan took her silent urging and passed her. Julianne followed. He turned suddenly, crowding her. Gasping, she stepped back instinctively before she caught herself and stood her ground. Scowling, Julianne glared at him.

“I unsettle you.” His grin was smug.

“You startled me,” she retorted.

“Deny it all you want, but you’re intrigued by what there might be between us. I’m a patient man. I can wait until you come around. You have my number. Call me when you change your mind.” Keenan shrugged, turning, then strode away.

Copyright © Taige Crenshaw, 2012.
All Rights Reserved, Total E Bound.


Go to the following sites to check out these other great authors snippets:
Myla Jackson
Lauren Dane
Leah Braemel
Caris Roane
Eliza Gayle
Mandy M. Roth
McKenna Jeffries
Shiloh Walker
Taige Crenshaw
Delilah Devlin
HelenKay Dimon
Felicity Heaton
TJ Michaels

No comments:

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...