Sunday, August 04, 2013

Ink Motions - Chandra Ryan

tcinkmotions-sm3-300x172

 

Interview with Chandra Ryan

When or what made you decide to become an author?

 

I'd just had my first son and I decided to stay at home with him. Which I loved. But it was really lonely at first. Babies are cute and all, but they aren't exactly know for their conversation skills. And I wasn't all that into day-time T.V. So I started creating people. Then I started throwing crises at them. One thing lead to the next and I had a story.

 

How do you get an idea for your novel?

 

Usually it starts with something I've seen or heard. Ink in the Blood came from watching people I know and love deal with addiction and recovery and how that particular decease affects the person's entire life. Bond betrayed started with one line from song. Then I saw a tattooed guy at the grocery store. The two fit nicely together and Isaac was born.

 

What is the inspiration you use?

 

I listen to a lot of music. Garbage, Pink, Cardigans, Metric, Depeche Mode, Pumpkins, Cranberries, Blue October, and so many, many others. Anything that's able to capture an emotion or express a state of mind. I'm in awe of musicians. They can tell a whole story in three minutes. It takes me at least 20,000 words.

 

What is your writing style?  Do you just sit down and write or do you create character sketches, outlines, or notes?

I sit down and write. I like to let the characters develop through the story. Sometimes the characters do things that surprise me as I'm writing but I know it's absolutely the right thing for them to do in that situation. I'm afraid if I did notes or outlines that spontaneity would be lost.

 

Who is the "Writing Muse" in your life? I.E. who gets your juices flowing when you are blocked?

 

When I'm having issues I talk to two people. The first is my husband. He reads every word I write. And he tells me when my characters don't make sense or when I've overlooked something. I often bounce ideas off of him because I know he'll be honest with me. The other is one of my closest friends and an author I respect deeply, Rebecca Royce. She also reads my stuff and she lets me know when I'm dawdling. I often get emails from her asking where the next chapter is.

 

Walk me though the way you create a novel from conception to completion.

 

Something usually triggers the initial idea. With Ink in the Blood, I'd started Bond Betrayed and Nikki talked about her sister Izzy. As I wrote Nikki's story, I became more and more interested in Izzy. So I took a break from Bond Betrayed so I could write Izzy's story.

 

Once I had a feel for who Izzy was, where she'd come from and what she'd overcome, I tried to figure out what type of guy would compliment her strengths and help her overcome her weaknesses. I wrote Jacob with that in mind. Izzy had a chaotic past and she'd always craved being part of a family. Jacob needed to be stable but strong enough to not be threatened by her baggage.

 

Then I come up with the major conflict. What's keeping them apart? With Izzy and Jacob it's their race. Jacob is human and Izzy…well…she's not. He doesn't even know there's another race out there let alone that Izzy is one of them.

 

What is the type of voice you use and why?

 

Wow! That's a hard one. I'd like to think my voice tends to be raw and honest. With my fantasy stuff I think I'm probably more descriptive and more hopeful. When I think about my fantasy stories I alway picture autumn in my head. If that makes any sense at all. My urban fantasy and sci-fi work is harsher, more dark. The worlds feel colder to me. More like winer.

 

 

How many novels have you written including all work in progresses you are currently working on?

 

I've completed six and am working on my seventh. It's another book in the Universal Defiance series I'm writing for Ellora's Cave. I have contracts signed for the rest of the books in that series, though, so there will be more from me out in the very near future.

 

Who is your "writing idol"? I.E. Who do you like and what is it about there writing that captures your soul?

 

I respect so many people in this industry that I couldn't possibly pick one. It takes a lot of dedication, heart, courage, and persistence to write. Anyone who's ever sat down and tried to capture a feeling in words has my admiration. And anyone who's ever sent off a manuscript to an agent or publishing house is my hero. That's scary stuff.

 

What is you favorite plot line type?.

 

I love secret babies. I'll read just about anything that has one in it. And I find myself smiling the entire time because I know the hero is going to find out. He'll be upset, understandably, but then they get to be a family. I love it when families come together.

 

What is your current work in progress and how did get the idea for the Work in

 

I'm currently writing another book set in the Universal Defiance world. It's a sic-fi story about genetically altered soldiers who are sent on a mission where everything goes horribly, horribly wrong. Two of the soldiers reach out to each other to find comfort but through the trials of tribulations of the mission, they find so much more.

 

The idea came to me when I was writing Shared Objectives, which is the second book in that series. There's a mad scientist that makes an appearance in that story. And, as I sat back and thought about him, I just kept thinking, "Someone is going to have to clean up that man's mess." This is the story of the unfortunate group of men who are sent to do just that.

 

Describe the major conflict between the hero and heroine in your novel?

 

I touched on it before but the major conflict between Izzy and Jacob is that they're two different races. Jacob is a straight-laced agent and he's 100% human. His world is pretty black and white. And though he's accepted that Izzy is a recovering addict and he admires her courage, she's concerned he'll freak out if he ever finds out what she really is. This fear makes her keep him at a distance. And then when he does find out… Well… I think it's safe to say it's a stressful evening for him.

 

Is there any advice you can offer to anyone who would like to write?

 

Read! And read critically. Did you love a book? Why? What elements did you love? The characters, the dialogue, the plot? Did you hate a book? Why? What elements did you hate?

 

Make friends with other authors. It's a hard industry. The ups are amazing. There are no words for the joy that sweeps through you when you capture a scene in your head on paper or when you're offered a contract. But the downs can be devastating. And I don't just mean rejections. Writing is a job and it's not all coffee shops and book signings. You'll need someone to vent to. Someone who gets it. And going on line to vent or sending off an email in anger can do serious damage to a career.

 

Where are the bodies buried? IE Is there any old work in progresses you threw aside and decided not to complete and why?

 

Most of my old works in progress have actually been published or are currently contracted. I feel bad for a story if I've written it but it isn't quite good enough to submit. So I keep polishing until it's ready.  Ravenborne took me over two years to write and went through three major revisions before I felt it was good enough. And then it went through some pretty heavy revisions at Samhain.

 

I have some ideas and notes that are currently sitting on my hard drive. But those are really stories that never got started because I didn't feel compelled to tell them. If I'm not compelled to tell the stories, I can't expect anyone to be compelled to read them.

 

What is a good villain?

 

A good villain has to have depth. They have to be believable. Yes, there are some really, truly evil people out there. They do horrible things just because they get their kicks from seeing others in pain. But I think most people can be described as good or bad depending on your point of view. Take the politician who puts special interest groups before the citizens for example. To the citizens he might be a villain. Especially if he's become too powerful to get out of office. But to the special interest groups he's the hero. He makes sure their people get better pay and better benefits. And he probably thinks he's doing what needs to be done to stay in power so he can enact real change.

 

I try to write my characters the same way. The villain in Ink in the Blood is Izzy's half-brother Alex. To her, he's the monster that got her addicted to drugs. When she encounters him, though, she realizes her initial appraisal of him might have been too simplistic.

 

Are there any last comments you may want to include?

 

Thank you so much for having me on your blog today!

 

 

 

inkintheblood_msr

 

 

Prequel to Bond Betrayed

Izzy has lived between two worlds her entire life—one filled with magic and darkness, the other populated by mundane humans. She was born into the magical world of the Community. But sexy, forbidden DEA agent Jacob belongs to the other. He has no idea her world even exists.

But that doesn’t mean he hasn’t noticed her. They’ve worked together for the past six months, attempting to bring down her drug-dealing half brother while driving each other crazy with pent-up desire. But now that it’s time to say goodbye, they both find it impossible to let go.

After one passionate night together Izzy realizes her mistake. She can’t bring him into her world. She has to end things before she gets too attached. When he refuses to leave, she must find a way to guide him through the darkness.

Inside Scoop: In this scorching urban fantasy, ink is thicker than blood.

A Romantica® paranormal erotic romance from Ellora’s Cave

Publisher’s Note: This book was previously published elsewhere and has been revised for Ellora’s Cave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An Excerpt From: INK IN THE BLOOD

 

Copyright © CHANDRA RYAN, 2013

 

All Rights Reserved, Ellora's Cave Publishing, Inc.

 

“Remember, nobody moves until she’s found Minshouse.” The crisp voice from the earbud broke into her thoughts and burst her bubble of happiness.

 

Unfortunately the DEA didn’t share her hunger for Alex’s arrest. They’d arrest him if he were in the middle of the bust. And they’d told her they had enough to make the charges stick this time. But they’d been quick to make it clear that Elliot was the primary target tonight. They were convinced his ties to terrorist organizations far outweighed whatever crimes Alex had committed. They were wrong.

 

Not that she’d told them that. She’d nodded sternly at the orders. But it’d been a lie. She wasn’t going to let her half brother slip through her fingertips just to make the agency happy. No, if Alex were here tonight, she’d go after him. Orders be damned.

Reaching the structure, she braced herself for her reentry into the underworld of society. She took one last deep breath and then plunged into the milling crowds packed under the graffitied shelter of the bridge.

 

The bazaar was actually a well-organized event, for what it was. The contraband was divided into three sections—weapons, drugs and paraphernalia. But she was only interested in the drugs. That’s where Elliot and Alex were bound to be.

As she walked through the crowd, she glanced at the booths of weapons. There were powders, potions, blades, handguns and assault rifles but nothing called to her. Which was probably for the best—given the circumstances.

 

She’d almost made it to the next section when a familiar face grabbed her attention. He was wearing tight jeans and a black t-shirt instead of the suit that she’d grown accustomed to seeing him in, but there was no mistaking his smile. Or his lean, muscular physique.

 

As if hearing her thoughts, he looked up. His gaze caught hers for a second before he began making his way toward her.

 

“Isabella.”

 

“A—” Realizing she was about to call him Agent Phinney, she stopped and shook her head to clear it. “Um, Jacob. This is a surprise.” She couldn’t help but wonder how he’d gotten past the guards.

 

He smiled rakishly as he ran his fingers through his short black hair. It was a gesture she’d become endeared to over the past six months. “I know, small world.”

 

“What are you doing here?” She’d expected to see him, but not until the bust had gone down. And, try as she might, she couldn’t think of a single good reason for him to be at the bazaar. Admittedly it was difficult for her to think of anything at all given his proximity. He was so close she could smell the spicy mint of his shampoo and her arm would brush against his chest if she swayed ever so slightly.

 

“I’m on a date.”

 

The words snapped her out of her haze. He didn’t seem to notice though. He was too busy staring at the voluptuous redhead several people ahead of them whose singed fingertips hinted at fire manipulation.

That explained security. With someone like her as a date, they’d have let him through, no questions asked.

 

“Funny, she isn’t what I’d imagined as your type.” Izzy realized that he could never be hers, not really, but she didn’t like the idea of him being with someone else. Especially when that someone could manipulate fire. In her experience, pyros were one of the more dangerous types. They tended to run hot in all things—including their emotions. “She looks kind of dangerous.”

 

“Although I do go for the dangerous type,” he whispered with a playful wink, “you’re right. She just happened to be in the right place at the right time—here.”

 

Hearing his words, a possible reason for his presence became painfully clear. “Wait. Are you checking up on me?”

 

He looked genuinely hurt. “I thought you knew me better than that. I’m here as backup, nothing more,” he whispered softly.

 

He’s human, he’s human, he’s human… The warning echoed softly in the recesses of her mind. But as his fingers tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear, it faded into silence.

 

“I couldn’t live with myself if anything happened to you on my watch,” he said.

 

Her heart raced at the tenderness of the touch and the warmth of his breath against her cheek. Her fingers itched to reach out to him, to touch him, but she resisted. “Well, then, I’m sure I’m in good hands.”

 

His eyes sparkled and his lips twitched as if poised for a reply, but fortunately his date had made her purchase and was calling his name. It was the distraction Izzy needed to slip away unnoticed, which she was all too happy to do. She was having a hard enough time thinking straight without adding a racing heart and a desire-fogged mind to the mix.

 

Once she’d slipped out of sight, she took a deep, cleansing breath and continued down the path. She felt a momentary pang of guilt as she thought about his date. She should have warned him. But she quickly justified her silence with his ignorance. How could she tell him his date was a pyro? How could she have explained their magic if he, like most humans, refused to believe magic even existed? True, she’d never tried to explain it to him. But she didn’t have delusions where humans were concerned. Not anymore.

 

Buy Link-

Ellora's Cave:

http://www.ellorascave.com/ink-in-the-blood.html

 

Author Social Links-

 

Web site: http://www.chandraryan.com/

Twitter: @ChandraRyan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chandra.ryan

DSC_0267

Being from a rather nomadic family, Chandra Ryan loves to travel and meet people. But she’s found that sometimes, like when you’re stuck inside because of a good old-fashioned Southwestern heat wave, you have to make do. Fortunately for her and her loving family, who don’t like seeing her suffer from cabin fever, she’s found creating new people and places equally as fascinating. Also, you’re a lot less likely to spill your ice tea.

2 comments:

Chandra Ryan said...

Thank you so much for having me on your blog today :)

Taige Crenshaw said...

Thanks so much for coming by Chandra! I enjoyed your interview.

Finding me around the web....

This is posted on a monthly basis. In addition to here on my blog or on my website, if you want to find me around the web you can check me o...